Wednesday, January 25

The Beginning

“Congratulations!” “We’re so excited for you!” “Are you thrilled?” Wow, it seems as if I just heard all those comments, only in reference to my wedding, three short months ago. But here Jonathan and I are again, hearing such familiar words. Only now they are referring to “the baby.”

Yes, as many of you already know... I’m pregnant... We’re pregnant. Three months in and already a bun in the oven. Scared? Of course. Overjoyed? Absolutely. Nauseous? Periodically throughout the day. Tired? All the stinkin’ time.

The story itself is funny. It suits Jonathan and me. It seems fitting that we would be pregnant so soon. Neither of us are “slow movers,” Jonathan even more so, and pardon the crassness, but neither are his sperm.

I took seven pregnancy tests (yes, seven). The first four read yes, no, yes, no. “Hmmm. Do I tell him now or wait 'till I know for sure. I can’t be pregnant. I’m not pregnant. That flip my stomach keeps doing is just the flu going around... no big deal. Just relax... your period is right around the corner.”

Last Monday, I spent thirty minutes at work feeling completely sick to my stomach. I was leaning against the wall drinking gingerale when one of my co-workers asked me jokingly, “Are you farther along than you think?” “Ha, ha,” I chuckled. “Farther along? Farther along than what? I am NOT pregnant.” That night, Jonathan and I agreed to buy a box of three tests, just to be sure either way. Two minutes after peeing on a stick, a bright solid blue + sign appeared. A + sign is positive. Positive is yes. Yes is “baby on board.” I stared at the stick sitting on the bathroom counter, blank faced, jaw wide open. In a flash, as the fuzzy blue lines became the crisp symbol of things ahead, a thousand thoughts flashed through my mind. “Getting fat, swollen ankles, breastfeeding, no more sleep, staying home, strollers, I’m not ready... I’m too young... labor... AHH... labor pains... we’ve only been married a few months... contractions!!!... Getting fat... we can’t afford this... how is this possible... nine months, remember, he/she won’t be here for 9 months... wow... whoa... I feel sick... thank You Lord... You think we’re ready... I’m scared... but thank You... thank You... thank You...” Meanwhile, Jonathan is running around the house in his boxers, jumping on the bed, screaming, woohooing, proclaiming “I'm gonna be a dad!”

It hasn’t all sunk in, and it probably won’t until we see our baby’s shining face. Even then we might be a little awe struck. We probably will be. But this gift is amazing. God gives more than we deserve, more than we hope for, or even know to hope for. Our Abba. Amazing. Good. Glorious.

There are, of course, many stories already that we wish to share with you all. And we will. Our life just got a whole lot more interesting, funny, and blessed. Please keep us (all three) in your prayers... and thank you for sharing in our love story as it unfolds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations you two. . .three : ) . Know that I'm praying for a strong, healthy baby. God Bless!